Monday, September 12, 2011

How to Grow Your Own Home

Three and a half years ago, in a commitment to honor my passion for writing as well as run a construction business, I started this blog as a tool to market. Rumors surged on the internet that thousands of clicks could generate income as well as clients. It helped that some basic education about the working reality of the industry (kitchens are not renovated in a week!) could be useful. Simple logic, curiosity and desire justified the experiment.

Changes in my personal life, the passion for writing from my heart and the closure of my construction business all combined to cement my focus on my other site, leaving this one long dormant. The ads were not generating the revenue anyway and the terms "SEO" and "back-links" were not yet common, so the effort was easy to lay aside.

More importantly, the transition to a life with pen instead of hammer was developing at a rapid pace. Fortunate to still have all my fingers and with rotator cuffs strained but functioning, I felt lucky. Twenty years earlier I had promised myself to not be carrying plywood at this age, but when it looked like I might continue accepting contracts, one day my scaffold suddenly collapsed, the choice no longer mine, landing me on the sofa to sit still until I reached the inevitable conclusion that I should not be working with my hands any more.

Once again, the need of some quick dollars in exchange for so many hours charged enticed me. Intuition was strong that morning to finish the essay I was writing, but integrity compelled me to go to the site and finish the work. In a safety harness earlier on the roof, after lunch, work at gutter height off of ladders with a plank in between seemed another easy dance I had been stepping for thirty years.

I always imagined, were I to fall, there would be time to jump away and go limp, roll to cushion the blow, but this was all much too quick. As the ladder slipped out, I immediately blacked out, an unconscious act of protection so intense I remember actually thinking I had died before landing hard on the pavement, straddling the extended prong of the ladder jack.

The chipped bone in my wrist was the over-riding pain, but ultimately nothing in my life compared to the ruptured urethra that forced me to live nearly two years with a catheter (a tube out of my belly into a plastic bag strapped to my leg) before it could be properly repaired. Added to the insult was the injury that by divorce my health insurance had terminated just a few days earlier, compounding the problems.

The details are well-documented at "Zen & the Art of the Midlife Crisis" and a forth-coming book tentatively entitled "The Peequel", while the most important fact is that after surgery this past June, I am well-healed and emotionally fit to take up my pen again (as well as being once again insured and more careful about the scaffolds upon which I choose to dance). Determined to earn my keep with more words than nails, but loaded with knowledge and experience of the construction business, logic dictates again that the two worlds should blend.

Lately, my hands have gotten dirty with several projects for myself and others. In breaking out the tools and balanced gingerly on a ladder, pondering the low cost and high convenience of self-publishing, essays constructed here can easily be produced into ebooks. By a few simple key strokes, they can be readily available to the transformed demographics of this new generation of home owners who are comfortable with computers and less skilled with their own hands.

By economic necessity and less abundant resources, the expansive developments of new houses are dwindling and renovations of the huge inventory of existing homes become the attainable standard. Transformations of smaller capes into beautiful colonials are more easily financed than skipping about from neighborhood to neighborhood.


The need for education is profound and the internet has become the resource from which all else flows. People are more empowered than ever to make their own choices, but need impartial guidance to learn the way. In seeking a contractor or before taking a sledge hammer to their own walls, it will help to find information about the processes physical and emotional they may have to endure. With this site and ebooks to follow, I can weave some experience into a supply that can feed the demand.

Please share with your friends

No comments: