Thursday, January 17, 2008

Roof

These chapters are best viewed in order:

Design

Foundation

First Story

Second Story

Second Story Addition

Roof




This new world of technology is so full of uncharted territories. The click of a button opens the world so immediately—and so irreversibly—to portions of a web better left ignored. In my enthusiasm to announce my nascent blogging efforts, I indulged in sending an EMAIL which strikes too closely to my own form of SPAM.

But larger than the issue of sharing private addresses in too public a way is the response it invited from someone representative of many I have hurt in this business. This issue is forefront in most moments of my every day and seriously affects the comfort of my immediate family. I am not shirking from responsibility for causing financial pain as a businessman, but it was something I was planning to address in “Chapter 2” of my blog.

In no way do I intend to represent myself as an expert in all corners of remodeling. In fact, this blog is a direct result of shutting down my own business, having been clearly unable to balance a masterbuilt product with a satisfied client, a profitable business, and a sustainable lifestyle.

If anything, my purpose is to caution any and all other eager carpenters from leaping into a similar venture with only a truck full of tools, confidence, and the best of intentions. From the other side, I’d like to help prospective clients to understand that a remodel is much more complicated than simply tearing a kitchen apart and putting it back together again.

Any expertise I prefess to put before the reader concerns the knowledge that no matter how thorough the plans and quality of experience at the start, the actual execution of the project is what really matters. While risks can be minimized, no one is immune from the problems. A carpenter with no formal training can, with a single-contract, become a multi-million dollar business. Conversely, an established company may hire a crew chief who fails to reveal he (or she) is an alcoholic going through divorce, and places a foundation wrong, bringing down the whole house.

Shelter is one of the original three needs. In the big picture, we’re all just trying to keep a roof over our heads. Some of us can help the process. Others definitely cause harm and expensive penalties. For most, we fall in that nebulous middle ground: a swampy, tenuous, slippery place where we attempt to maintain a foothold the best we can, and keep each other company along the way.

Please share with your friends

No comments: